Some Gem Show planning activities continue in the background. Carl finished an amazing poster (pictured). I continued to work on Gem Show classes. But neither of these are to be published or released until we know if the Show will go on. Megan has continued to receive and process contracts from dealers.
We have spent $817 to date on the Gem Show, with no further spending since late February. These were for a $700 ad on the Durango Discovery Map which is mostly a year-round promotion for the Club, and $117 on office supplies and postage to mail out contracts.
We are delaying further Gem Show spending until we better know the fate of our 2020 Gem Show.
Part of our consideration will be the financial impact of the Show on the Club's finances. Here are our likely options:
- We cancel the Show without further spending. We lose $817 on Show spending to date.
- We continue Show spending but cancel later. We lose $6,000 to $14,000.
- We hold the Show but anticipate a 70% decline in dealer fees, admission fees, class participation, and other show income. We gain about $10,000.
We are presently under no contractual obligations. Contracts with the fairgrounds, food vendors, google ads, etc. are not in place. Contracts with our dealers allow us to cancel the Show but to return payments to our dealers. We are not responsible for other losses they might incur by cancelling our show. And we are at the mercy of emergency response, which may take over the fairgrounds for ongoing community testing.
And YET … we sincerely hope to hold the Show in mid July as scheduled, as a celebration of our community's return to normal life!